Thursday, June 5, 2008

Worst vacation EVER!!!!!!!

Warning, if you are looking for an uplifting post, this is not it! :> Sam had a week of vacation and we were planning (mostly he) on getting the fence up and doing some fun things with the kids. Plans change. Adee got sick the first of the week, and she is a strong little bugger and pulled through it, but when Shep caught it it was a different story. I noticed on Saturday that he was a little warm and not so happy, but figured he was teething. I stayed home from church with him on Sunday and by Sunday night his temp was 104. I called my Dr. and he said to just keep an eye on him. I was sitting with him in the chair and just had a bad feeling that things were really not so good, so I called my Dr. again and he said to take him into the emergency room. Seriously, what a joke an EMERGENCY room is!!! We got there at 9:30 and were not seen until about 12:30, of course by that time Shep is tired and has sooo had it, but they want to start an IV and take blood and urine samples. Obviously Sam knew what Shep was in for because when they came in to start the IV he said "I am out of here." I looked at him and said no way, you are the nurse you will stay. For about the next 25 minutes I stood in the hall and listened to Shep scream his little lungs out, it was the worst thing ever. Come to find out, the first time they tried to get in on his right arm they went through the vein (nursing degree) and then had to go to the left arm. That was only the beginning of Shep's fun vacation - he had to have his temp read rectally and tylenol administered that way too! At about 2:30 a PA comes in and says that Shep's white blood cell count is at 32,000 and the normal rate is between 6-10,000 and that he was calling our Dr. to see what he wanted to do. Ten minutes later he comes back in and listens to his lungs, Sam asks if the chest x-rays were okay and he said he did not see anything on them, then walks out. Back in after talking to our Dr. to inform us that Shep is being admitted and that he has pneumonia. WHAT???? So up to the 4X4 room with the metal cage that they call a crib. This is getting long, isn't it??? :> I will get to the point - Shep basically screamed for the next two nights as they poked and prodded him and stuck things you know where. Honestly, I was so mad at times that I wanted to beat the crap out of people. He kept looking at me like "Why are you letting them do this to me???" I HATE feeling helpless and seeing your child sick and not being able to make it stop is the most helpless feeling in the world. I am so glad that Sam was there with me, we shared a fold down chair (really comfy) for the majority of the stay, and I guess got to spend some really close time together. :> Shep ended up not having pneumonia (thanks PA) our Dr. said he did not see anything on the chest xrays that would even point to that and he even let the GOOD nurse (Sam) check them out himself. They are not sure what he caught, but the antibiotics and fluids seemed to help, we have to take him back in on Tuesday to make sure everything is okay. As I sat in the hospital I thought I don't know how parents are able to cope with kids that have serious illnesses because I don't think I could. Two days of sitting and doing nothing was enough to do me in, I can't imagine something constant. I am so glad we are out of that hospital and at home, and yet again I am reminded that children are little miracles and should not be taken for granted. I am so happy to see Shep smile after all the crying that it brings tears to my eyes, I know, corney, but true. Hopefully I don't need anymore "reminders" for a LOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGGGG time.

9 comments:

Sara said...

Oh man, that is so sad! I've never had one of my kids admitted to the hospital (knock on wood) and can't imagine how hard that must be. I just got an email from a friend that her 3-yr-old daughter (born with heart problems) is back in the hospital again, it just breaks my heart.

Thanks for the note...Keep in touch for sure. :)

Who else do you keep in touch with? I'd love to hear what other gals are up to and how everyone's families have grown. email me!
sarajoyner@gmail.com

Melissa said...

Hey Ashlee...this is Melissa (Olsen). I am finding all sorts of people in the blogging world. It's funny how you start on someone's blog and you end up like ten blogs away and have no idea how you got there. Your family is beautiful... it's good to see you happy and doing good. Hope your little guy is feeling better-Sick kids are the worst. I freak out about little things-if something like that ever happened to one of mine I would be a wreak. Well keep in touch-It was fun to look at your blog:)

Christine Williams said...

I don't even want to try to imagine what that had to be like for all of you. The things we have to endure, huh?!? Silver lining would be that you probably appreciate your little healthy babies even more. Isn't it funny that you never could have imagined appreciating them more - then something like that happens and you do. God works in mysterious ways. I'm glad Shep is okay and that you survived! So much for a vacation!

LexiandGriffinsTaxi said...

Hey!
I am so sorry to hear about Shep! I HATE stupid doctors that act like they are the be all end and what they say is th final word. It's so sad that they even treat little ones like they are just another number. I am glad that he is home and doing better! Please let us know if we can do anything.
Love you guys!

The Stones said...

That sucks. I am glad he is OK. I would freak out on the hospital for poking my kid like that. Ashlee says in her birth plan "No nurses in training are to touch me." Ya, life's problems get put into perspective when your kids get sick.

We have the boys entered in the "Eagle Fun Days" Rodeo to do the Mutton Bustin (Riding Sheep). That should make for some good blogging material. I am stoked, we have been practicing in the living room.

I just found out Holly's (Ex girlfriend) Dad has 6 Mo. to live. Life? Just appreciate what ya got.
Later, Stone

The Stones said...

I want to cry for you!!!! I am so sorry you had to go through that and really thank goodness Sam had his vaca and could be there for you. Let me know how Tuesday goes.
ash

Party of Five said...

Bless your hearts! Poor Shep!! That brought tears to MY eyes:( I'm glad he's better... we'll say a little prayer for him.
Tracy

ALICIA said...

So sorry about Shep. That is awful. Poor little guy.....having to be poked and prodded. I know what you mean by feeling helpless when they are just lookin' at you with those eyes of sadness.

Just recently, I have been thinking a lot about how (I think) my life is so hard and stressful and all of a sudden I see articles and stories and newscasts on babies and small children that have so many health issues. And so, I sat back and thought to myself, how truly blessed I have been with all three of my little ones. No serious health issues. Pregnancies always seemed to go good (except for acutally getting prego was difficult) but what a huge blessing to have healthy, strong, vibrant children. I too can not imagine how parents who have little ones in the hospital do it. My heart goes out to them for their strength!

You are lucky to have had Sam with you to be a support. As he is lucky to have YOU!!!! Keep me posted on how Shep is doing.

Sean and Jessica Waldron said...

Ash- So sorry to hear about Shep!! I hope you are all recovering! Let me know if you need anything!
Jess